The overall objective of the project under CBC is to maintain and preserve the freshwater reservoirs and the sea clean and to attract tourists and new inhabitants with pure and clean environment
• Ensure and strengthen the Russian-Finnish cross-border cooperation in the tense geopolitical situation between Russia and EU in the field of conservation biology best practices sharing in the protection and management
• Take coordinated science based actions towards human-freshwater seal co-existence and common good of sustainable use (e.g. seal friendly fishery and tourism)
• To enhance environmental awareness among local residents, visitors and companies on both sides of the border
• New monitoring methods: photo-identification;
• Study of feeding and seasonal movements of seals;
• Best practices to minimize conflict between fishermen and seals;
• Sustainable ecotourism;
• Environmental education.
Target area and duration of the project
The CoExist project is implemented in area of Ladoga Lake on the territory of Leningrad region (Russia) and Saimaa Lake (Finland).
Project coordinator: Mervi Kunnasranta
(University of Eastern Finland ), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Russian project leader: Irina Trukhanova,